Skip to content

Change font size

Interior Ceiling Discoloration Spots

Discuss fifth wheel style trailers here.

Moderator: Limey

Interior Ceiling Discoloration Spots

Unread postby Festus2 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:01 am

:?: We have a 2008 Cougar 5th Wheel and happened to notice several faint, barely noticeable stains or discoloration spots on the white, textured ceiling. They are a yellowish-brown and can be found at various points where the ceiling panel has been stapled to the roof supports. In some cases if you look closely, you can see a line of them - following the stapling pattern across the ceiling from left to right.
The staining is taking place at the points where the filler or putty has been used to fill the tiny holes created by the staples and it is the filler that is discolored.
I am guessing that this staining could be caused by a chemical reaction between the putty and the staple OR the wooden truss/rafter into which the staple is driven contains some moisture and is causing the staple to slowly rust.
I am also very sure that there is no leak in the roof - the 5th wheel was under cover all winter.
Has anyone examined or noticed that their ceiling also has these spots? You have to look quite carefully and get them in the right light in order to spot them. What about trying to clean them?
Any comments or suggestions as to other possible causes and ways to get rid of these stain marks would be appreciated.
Richard
Richard
2008 278 RKS Cougar 5th
2005 Chev 2500 Duramax
Festus2

Re: Interior Ceiling Discoloration Spots

Unread postby Big Rig Guy on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:19 am

Maybe some condensation and then causing the staples to rust??
There's a method to the madness, disturb the method and the madness begins.
Big Rig Guy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Unread postby Limey on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Big Rig Guy wrote:Maybe some condensation and then causing the staples to rust??

Precicesly what I was going to suggest. If you are sure that there are no leaks it can only come from some chemical
reaction, and condensation would seem to be the main facilitator of that type of thing.

Welcome to the forum, Richard! :)
Martyn (aka Limey)

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 SLT; 2007 Coachmen Chaparral 267RLS;
Reese 15K Slider; Prodigy; JT Stabilizers; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's
2006 Glastron MX175
Limey
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread postby cwit on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. You could try spackel rubbed over the stain. This worked for me. :D
cwit

Unread postby Festus2 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. It would appear that I am not the first one to encounter this problem. I am certain there is no leak. An RV tech at Camping World said that they have seen this problem before and it is not caused by a leak. I tend to agree. Two containers of moisture absorbing crystals/pellets were placed in the unit over the winter months, vents were left slightly open and it was under cover.
I will try cleaning the stains first and if that doesnt work, I'll try spot spraying with Kilz - a spray paint used to hide stains. Failing that, I'll try the suggestion regarding the use of Spackle - dabbing it over the discoloration.
I appreciate the input from the members who responded to my post. Thank you. :)
Richard....
Richard
2008 278 RKS Cougar 5th
2005 Chev 2500 Duramax
Festus2

Return to Fifth Wheels